Conventional & Bulk Cargo
Internationally renowned as handlers of bulk products, the Port handles a wide variety of commodities including aggregates, biomass, forest products grain, scrap, steel and project cargo.
The Port of Tyne is accessible at all states of the tide. There are no length or beam restrictions for vessels in the entrance to the Port. With a controlled depth of 10 metres below Chart Datum in the lower reaches of the Port and 13 metres below Chart Datum at its principal, multi-user berth, Riverside Quay, the Port can easily accommodate panamax-class vessels.
With three rail terminals: Bulk, Cars & General and Intermodal, the strategic decision to invest in rail infrastructure has enabled a massive increase in the amount of cargo the port handles in addition to the cost and environmental savings in road miles.
- Length = 875m
- Beam = 40m
- Depth = 13m at Chart Datum
- 2 Liebherr Container Gantry Crane (up to 40 tonnes - spreader, 44.2 tonnes - hook)
- 1 Liebherr LHM 550 Mobile Harbour Crane (140 tonnes at 15m radius)
- 4 Liebherr LHM 320 Mobile Harbour Cranes (all 100 tonnes at 17m radius)
- 2 Gottwald HSK6424 Rail Mounted Portal Harbour Cranes coupled with 2 rail mounted wifi controlled 120 tonnes receiving hoppers linked to 625m long, 18m high overhead conveyor system with automatic tripping unit serving 9 large storage bays in the main coal stocking ground
- 3 Terex|Gottwald Eco Hoppers - 105 tonne capacity