Marine, Safety & Environmental Services
- Conventional & Bulk Cargo
- Car Terminals
- Cruises & Ferries
- Marine, Safety & Environmental Services
The Port of Tyne seeks excellence in every aspect of its business and strives to be a world leading port in respect of environmental performance. As such the Port works to minimise the impacts of operations on both communities and the environment.
The Port's commitment is to:
1. Continuously improve environmental performance through the management of business activities and integrating recognised environmental management best practice into business operations.
2. Manage business operations to prevent pollution.
3. Comply as a minimum with all relevant environmental legislation as well as other environmental requirements to which the business subscribes.
4. Manage waste generated by business activities according to the principles of minimisation, re-use and recycling and where needed dispose of the residual waste in a responsible manner.
5. Improve energy efficiency and look to minimise the amount of carbon emissions released to air resulting from operations.
6. Give consideration to environmental issues and energy performance in the construction and use of buildings and other infrastructure.
7. Maintain certification to ISO14001 though precise monitoring and performance review.
To meet these commitments the Port will:
1. Allocate sufficient resources for the effective direction and implementation of the Environmental Policy.
2. Communicate the importance of environmental issues to personnel and promote a business culture whereby everyone within the Port regardless of role or position is encouraged to take responsibility for their actions and the environmental impacts they have.
3. Promote environmental awareness and the importance of environmental issues to contractors, tenants and others who have an interest in our business.
4. Set and monitor key objectives and targets for managing environmental performance.
5. Communicate internally and externally the Port's Environmental Policy and performance on a regular basis and encourage feedback.
6. Review the Environmental Policy regularly.