The Tyne's Piers
Built to shelter the mouth of the Tyne from the full force of the sea and prevent ship wrecks, the Tyne’s two piers, Tynemouth Pier on the North bank and South Shields, on the South bank are familiar landmarks.
For over 100 years, the piers have protected the River Tyne, extending 899 metres from Tynemouth Priory and 1570 metres from South Shields.
The first foundations of Tynemouth Pier were laid in 1854, using 3,000 tonnes of stone in what was one of the most difficult construction projects of its kind at the time.
The Pier was completed in 1895 but, just two years later, was almost completely destroyed by a huge storm that left the lighthouse completely separated from the land.
In 1909 it was rebuilt by John Wolfe-Barry, most celebrated for his world-famous design and construction of the Tower Bridge in London.
The Port of Tyne remains the custodian of both heritage sites and carries out regular inspections and maintenance work to ensure the piers are well-maintained.
Both piers are open to the public in hours of daylight, except during weather conditions that could endanger the public.
For information contact the Pier Watchman on site or by phone - +44 (0)7824 310937 (North Pier) / +44 (0)7583 191975 (South Pier).