News & Media
8th August 2017
Port of Tyne paintings go on loan
Paintings from the Port of Tyne collection are to be part of a new exhibition at the Old Low Light Heritage Centre in North Shields.
Acquired by the Port of Tyne's predecessors, the Tyne Improvement Commission, two painting from the collection are to be included in the Old Low Light's latest exhibition titled ‘Views from the happy hunting ground' - which explores the history of the North Shields Fish Quay.
The centre piece of the exhibition is the Port of Tyne's painting by John Carmichael ‘The Mouth of the Tyne' which captures the famous Tyne whaler ‘Lady Jane' in 1847 sailing into North Shields before the piers were constructed - in the painting you can clearly see the Old Low Light. The 313-ton Lady Jane was the best known of the Tyneside whalers until she was destroyed by the ice in Melville Bay in the Canadian Arctic.
Another of the Port's paintings by Bernard Hemy - titled ‘On the River Tyne' is also part of the exhibition which includes works of art from other private collections including North Tyneside Council and also from Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums.
Susan Wear, Port of Tyne Director of Corporate Affairs, said: "The paintings reveal a glimpse into the past and the history of the river. They are usually on display at our headquarters and it is great to see them accessible to a wider audience."
A view from the happy hunting grounds exhibition at the Old Low Light Heritage Centre is free to visitors from August until 15 October.
For further information please contact:
Lisa Donohoe, Public Relations Manager
Tel: +44 (0)191 455 2671 Mobile: +44 (0)79123 90777